The struggle is a constant one.
Every single night that you go to bed you find yourself dreading the sleeplessness and interruptions that are caused by your husband. His snoring, his seemingly struggle to catch his breath, and his restlessness are both constant and exhausting.
After months of dealing with these same struggles you have finally decided to insist that your husband address the problem. You have purchased a home test for sleep apnea and you plan to insist that your husband use it this weekend. If the test indicates that there are no problems then you will let sleeping doges rest, so to speak, but if the home test for sleep apnea indicates a problem the next step will be to look for some solutions. It seems senseless for both you and your husband to continue waking up completely exhausted morning after morning.
Consider some of these facts and figures about the frequency and seriousness of sleep apnea:
- 18 million americans are affected by sleep apnea.
- One of every 50 individuals have undiagnosed cases of sleep apnea. This means that 2% to 4% of all Americans have an undiagnosed case of sleep apnea.
- Stroke is four times as likely in people with undiagnosed cases of sleep apnea than in people who have been diagnosed or do not have the condition at all.
- Sleep apnea patients who do not seek or use their treatment are threee times as likely to have heart disease than people who have been diagnosed and are receiving treatment or do not have the condition at all
- One of the most frightening statistics is that during an average night?s rest, an obstructive sleep apnea sufferer may experience 60 apneas an hour.
- 38,000 yearly deaths occur that relate to cardiovascular problems connected to sleep apnea in one or another, according to the National Commission on Sleep Disorders Research.
- If used correctly and consistently sleep apnea products can reduce the dangers of sleep apnea.
- To receive the healthy benefits of and insurance coverage for a sleep apnea machine, patients must use CPAP at least 70% of the time over a 30 day period, for at least four hours every night.
- Unfortunately, nearly 80% of patients who say they use their CPAP machine do not use it enough to keep them safe.